Sanctuaire de Lourdes (Lourdes)
Sanctuary of Lourdes is made up of the Grotto of Massabielle in which the Virgin appeared to Bernadette Soubirou, and a set of 3 basilicas:
The upper basilica (Basilica of the Immaculate Conception)
Located above the Notre-Dame-du-Rosaire basilica which was built later, the whole overlooking the Grotto of Massabielle where the Virgin Mary would have appeared to Saint Bernadette Soubirous, revealing her identity to her ("I am the Immaculate Conception ”), the basilica was built from 1862 to 18712 on the plans of Hippolyte Durand and consecrated in July 18763. It quickly proved insufficient to receive the many faithful coming on pilgrimage to Lourdes, which decided the ecclesiastical authorities to start construction of the lower basilica.
The lower basilica (Notre-Dame-du-Rosaire basilica)
Located in front of and below the first basilica, the Rosary Basilica was built from 1883 to 1889 on the plans of Léopold Hardy and consecrated in 1901 to compensate for the lack of space in the latter, in view of the growing number of pilgrims. However, it proved itself insufficient, which decided about fifty years later the ecclesiastical authorities to build the immense underground basilica of Saint Pius X under the Esplanade du Rosaire.
The basilica closes to the west the perspective of the Esplanade du Rosaire, which begins at the Porte Saint-Michel at the outlet of the bridge over the Gave. It is the natural place of convergence of processions. Contrary to the most usual use, the two basilicas have their facades facing east, that is to say towards the city and the castle, orientation dictated by the layout of the land.
Underground Basilica (Basilica of Saint Pius X)
Built under the esplanade of the sanctuaries, it is the most recent and the largest of the three basilicas intended to receive pilgrims. Consecrated in 1958, it is also designated as the “underground basilica” to distinguish it from the “upper” (Basilica of the Immaculate Conception) and “lower” (Notre-Dame-du-Rosaire) basilicas, all three forming part of the complex of sanctuaries of Lourdes which still includes the Church of Sainte-Bernadette, the latest in its places of worship and number of chapels. It should also be noted that Lourdes also has a parish church in the city center, the Church of the Sacred Heart, the construction of which was initiated by Abbot Dominique Peyramale, parish priest of Lourdes at the time of the apparitions of the Virgin Mary to Bernadette Soubirous.
- Nearest hotels
- Lourdes at 1920 ft↑
- Grand Hotel Moderne (Lourdes) at 850 ft↑ book
- Grand Hôtel Gallia & Londres (Lourdes) at 1100 ft↑ book
- Villa L'Orante (Lourdes) at 1330 ft↑ book
- Best Western Plus Hôtel Le Rive Droite & SPA (Lourdes) at 1500 ft↑ book
- Hôtel Sainte Marie (Lourdes) at 1850 ft↑ book
- Cité Saint-Pierre (Lourdes) at 1970 ft↑
- Show Case Time (Lourdes) at 2030 ft↑
- Moulin de Boly (Lourdes) at 2240 ft↑
- Château de Lourdes - Musée pyrénéen (Lourdes) at 2270 ft↑
- Hôtel Alliance Lourdes (Lourdes) at 2320 ft↑ book
- Alexandra (Lourdes) at 2400 ft↑
- Hôtel de la Vallée (Lourdes) at 2520 ft↑ book
- Médiathèque (Lourdes) at 3210 ft↑
- Le Palais (Lourdes) at 1 miles↑
- Le Baluchon café-couchette (Lourdes) at 1 miles↑ book
- for Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrénées airport at 6 miles↑
- for Tarbes-Laloubere airport at 11 miles↑
News et spectacles à Lourdes
Sunday 19th of July 2020